Music plays an important role in our lives. It is integral to our culture, exemplifying creativity in its purest form. Music says what words cannot. Here at Boston University, the graduate programs in music education have been created for the continuing growth of forward-thinking leaders and educators who serve as advocates for the importance of music in our lives, communities, and schools. Choose BU and become part of an expanded network of alumni who believe in the power of music. Together, we can play an influential role in the changing landscape of music education.
About BU’s Graduate Programs in Music Education Online
Boston University is the oldest degree-granting music program in the United States. Today’s prestigious School of Music offers a Master of Music in Music Education and the Doctor of Musical Arts in Music Education. Learn how either of these respected credentials can help distinguish your talent. Each program offers you the opportunity to study with thought leaders, policy makers, trendsetters, and innovators in music education. These men and women, like you, want to make an impact on the lives of their students while also advancing their own career. Join us for the opportunity to network with the largest faculty of music educators in the country.
Why Choose BU?
- BU grads rank 7th in the U.S. and 17th in the world among schools for employability
- BU places 41st in the U.S. News & World Report rankings of national universities and 54th in the World University Rankings by Times Higher Education
- BU is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC, Inc.) and the School of Music is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
What Makes a BU Graduate Music Education Degree Right for You?
- Advance quickly through an accelerated curriculum with competitive cost
- Further your knowledge on a schedule that fits your busy lifestyle
- Learn from a diverse faculty of accomplished musicians, scholars, researchers, and educators
- Immerse yourself in subjects that offer the potential to transform music education for you and your students
- Access Boston University’s extensive, world-class resources
- Study the history, philosophy, psychology, sociology, and technology of music education
- Engage with a group of like-minded music educators from around the world
- Apply without a GRE requirement at the master’s level
The Real Value of Graduate Music Education Courses
Our coursework feeds the soul of the musician and the educator. Our contemporary curriculum is taught by expert faculty who are in tune with modern music education, theory, and musicology. In addition to learning how to plan and implement an inspiring curriculum, you will be joining likeminded peers in shaping the future of music education. Our goal for both the master’s in music education and doctor of musical arts degrees is to offer you an educational program that cannot be duplicated —only experienced —at BU.
Who Should Choose the BU Master of Music in Music Education Online Program?
You are ready to take your love of teaching music to another level. You believe music unites people, bridges language barriers, and transcends time itself. It is your passion, as well as ours. That’s why we designed our Master of Music in Music Education online program for imaginative musical artists and transformative educators like you. Come learn why this is an exceptional opportunity to harmonize your musical talents with advanced academic scholarship.
Through the Master of Music in Music Education online program, you can:
- Excel as a music educator with respected credentials
- Develop new skills in high-quality music instruction
- Prepare for advancement in your career and contribute to the growth of the profession
- Focus on music from a variety of cultural and historical approaches such as African music, American music, and jazz
Why choose the Master of Music in Music Education online program?
Your responsibility as a music educator extends far beyond the classroom walls. Music has the power to connect students to communities and concert halls. Learn from faculty members who are leaders in early childhood music education, community music facilitation, music technology, and lifespan engagement. Choose BU’s Master of Music in Music Education online program and earn your degree in 8 courses, which may be completed in as few as 17-20 months of study.
Who Should Choose the BU Doctor of Musical Arts in Music Education Online Program?
Music is a higher calling for you, and this advanced educational track can help take you to the pinnacle of your profession. If you’re driven to improve your music teaching, yet equally desire opportunities to develop your scholarship, choose BU’s Doctor of Musical Arts in Music Education online program. Come explore the opportunity to feed your entrepreneurial spirit as a music education leader and advance your capacity to advocate for tomorrow’s musical minds.
Through the Doctor of Musical Arts in Music Education online program, we strive to:
- Take full advantage of opportunities that online study provides to attract leaders from around the world to advanced study in music education
- Expand meaningful scholarship in music education and promote greater connection of scholarship to music education practices
- Serve as a gateway through which emerging and established scholar-practitioners can communicate and collaborate
- Support a cadre of influential leaders in the music education profession
Why Choose BU’s Doctor of Musical Arts in Music Education?
Our doctoral student population is highly diverse. Join a network of emerging scholars who see the music classroom as a research laboratory for new technologies and community leaders who want to continue to grow the opportunity for well-funded music education. Though our students come from around the world, they come together for a one-week summer intensive course to ready them to submit a proposal for their dissertation.
Careers & Alumni
Professional Music Education Career Opportunities
Music is truly a universal language. Given that the power of music can transcend boundaries, career opportunities for highly educated music educators are all around us. Our BU graduates pursue opportunities in the classroom and beyond to include roles as music leaders, higher education administrators, community activists, creators, policy makers, curriculum designers, philanthropists, and more. Together, we are defining the future of music education. Join us.